Paella is my all time favorite for large parties. It’s a crowd pleaser and makes for a great presentation.
- 5 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Spanish Onion (chopped)
- 1 large Red Pepper
- 2 cup Short-grain Rice (Arbori Rice)
- Saffron Threads (large pinch)
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 8 Chicken Thighs (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 pound Dried Chorizo
- 12 Mussels (debearded and scrubbed)
- 12 Littleneck Clams (scrubbed)
- 1 1/2 pound Large Shrimp (I mixed regular and head on)
- 1/2 cup White wine
In a paella pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until cooked through and it has rendered its fat. Remove chorizo from pan and reserve. Add the chicken, browning all sides. Remove the chicken from pan and reserve. Add the shrimp, and slightly brown. Remove and reserve. Add the onion and red peppers. Cook until translucent. Add the rice and toast. Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Once rice has toasted, and the saffron and then slowly add the stock, stirring as you add. Add the tomatoes and stir. Nestle the chicken in the pan and arrange the mussels, clams, shrimp, and cover the pan. Cook, covered until clams and mussels have opened and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Garnish with freshly cracked pepper and some lemon wedges.