- 1 pound leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed, approximately 4 to 5 medium
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 14 ounces, approximately 3 small, Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 1 quart vegetable/chicken stock broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
Chop the leeks into small pieces. Heat the olive oil and butter in a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the potatoes, thyme, and the broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.
Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.
Chicken Stock Recipe
- 4 pounds Chicken bones or whole chicken
- 3 large yellow onions, unpeeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 4 stalks celery with leaves, cut into thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled and cut in half, optional
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
Place the chicken, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16 to 20-quart stockpot. Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 hours. Strain the contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids. Chill the stock overnight. The next day, remove the surface fat. Use immediately or pack in containers and freeze for up to 3 months.